Thursday 13 March 2008

Wild Country

Wild Country, this film was a pleasant surprise. The film was rented as a speculative try this new to DVD low budget horror movie. The selling point was that it was Scottish made with a cast of unknown actors that had received good reviews.
I've seen a lot of horror movies, ghost movies, slasher movies, etc. It's not necessarily a favourite genre of mine, but is the preferred genre of a family member. Which I guess means for the most part I have seen it all before.
The film was at its heart a teens roaming in the dark being eaten one by one by an unknown beastie affair. But it managed to be a lot more than that. The performances were very good, the fear believable, the camera work setting the mood just right, definitely scary in parts. The low-ish budget animatronics could be off putting, but I've seen worse. It managed a couple of good twists too resulting in an ending that should have been predictable but caught me by surprise.
The mood of the film must have caught me just right. This is only the second film to have me feeling quite uneasy when walking the dog in the dark immediately afterwards.
Nice one, has to be an 8 out of 10.

No comments: