Tuesday 4 March 2008

wikiHowl Gadget

I'm pleased to see the full listing in place now for wikiHowl's Google Gadget. Well, the screenshot's not in place yet, but will be soon.
This is the full version of a trial we completed using the form created gadgets tool. That's one heck of a handy tool, but turned out to be limited with regard to sharing. Email sharing was cool, but directory listings turn up broken and there's no control over listing entries.
Creating a gadget turned out to be a good lesson in reading the instructions properly. The process is very well documented with full API documentation and access to the source code of any previously created gadget. Oh yes, and the backup of the very helpful regulars at the Google Gadgets API discussion group.
As for reading the instructions properly, I am male and am excluded from having to do this. Dropping the framework code onto a blank XML page was easy enough, and the same with copying in directory listing parameters. Easy stuff this, now there's only some basic HTML needed for showing our content. (No fancy fetching of data needed at this point.) Aha, it's been a while since I've not used a fancy web page editor, so what's the format of these tags again? It was trial and error all the way, painstakingly correcting error after error, and all the time looking across the room at my HTML Bible book which I knew I didn't need.
It was the adding of Google Analytics code that threw up that my framework was wrong too, very funny. I managed an error in every part of this coding, and of course loved every moment of it.
Thanks go out to KiS for her work on the thumbnail and screenshot images, just don't tell her that I used MS Paint to grab the original screenshot image, I could never live it down (she's a pro PhotoShop user).
So, a labour of love for our wikiHowl readers, and thanks to Google Analytics I can say "Hi" to our 19 gadget users as of an hour ago.

No comments: