Monday 10 March 2008

I Eat Brains

I eat brains, once weekly, on a Wednesday.
Well, what I'm really referring to is faggots. The brand, Mr Brain's Faggots. I am an absolute faggot fan and have renamed Wednesday, Faggot Day. (No sniggering from over the pond, please.)
I was reminded to blog this weekly treat of mine by a Wikipedia article. I am a plodding WikiGnome at Wikipedia making small edits throughout many articles, and had popped into the faggots slang word article to correct a misspelling of the word argument.
Reading the article confirms that the version I eat is made of liver and onions rolled into meatballs and served in an oh so delicious West Country sauce/gravy.
The traditional recipe though has faggots made from pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes breadcrumbs. The mixture is shaped in the hand into balls, wrapped round with caul (a membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked. This isn't quite the basic version I'm used to, but I think I'd try them out given the chance.
They're more of a niche product nowadays, but have had a book written about them, and a most unique advertising campaign.
And the ultimate test of how great they are? My 7 year old German Shepherd dog Buddy, who will eat dead things on the street, gets a faggot of his own on Faggot Day. He sniffs it, walks away, repeats a few times then eats it because it's there and he obviously feels obliged. It takes all sorts I guess...

No comments: