Saturday 1 March 2008

Tutorial

I am a part-time student with the Open University, Europe's largest university with 200,000 students. I am currently studying Computers and Processors (T224) an interesting module that covers the fundamental components of computer systems, practical issues in the design of processor-based systems, the use of a simulated processor-based system to perform simple tasks, and much more of a geeky nature. All great fun, and part of the slow slog toward my bachelors degree, BSc (Honours) Information Technology and Computing.
Distance learning with the Open University isn't a totally solo affair. Every course/module is backed up by online forums allowing interaction with fellow students, all very good for moral support and quick clarification of the what on earth does that mean elements. Tutor support exists on a location basis too. You are geographically assigned a tutor who provides support by email or telephone, and is the chap/chapess who marks your regular assessments. Courses also have tutorials assigned, fixed location/date/time meetup events. These are great if you can get those three aligned to your RL. While the forums seem quite the panacea with regard to extra explanations and moral support they are nothing compared to the tutorials. Putting faces to names, course content discussion, practising assignment questions, all great stuff.
My first tutorial was last Saturday at a local college. It's an interesting building with room location being worthy of a degree level qualification in its own right. (My first ever tutorial there had me arrive at the named room fifteen minutes late in spite of arriving thirty minutes early.) This time was easy, four of us arrived at the same time (check out the books people are carrying), and hit the room just five minutes later.
There were five students and Terry the Tutor (I love how that name fits). The content would be kind of dry for blogging, but it was nicely relevant and was a good opportunity to find that everybody has similar thoughts regarding what is as clear as mud. The chance to practice past assessment questions with guidance is a huge plus, and has to be the main reason to try and attend these things where possible. One thing I need to watch out for with Terry is how he picks on people to supply answers. After a coffee machine nearby is mentioned I fly through a flowchart question to get the heck down there. All is cool till my return, "As you finished so quick, you can come to the front and draw and explain your answer for everybody..." Cool, I got to practice my non-existent presentation skills. I scaled my flowchart wrong to fit on the board, I spoke to the board, and stood in front of my chart while explaining parts of it. Loved it.
It was a fun meet-up and had a really sweet ending, the following post was made to the course forum afterwards. I had no idea we were making this impression (and I was the book sharer).

i would just like to say that after going to the tutorial, my very first one, i found it very welcoming, friendly and helpful, it was nice to meet the tutor face to face and it was nice to meet other people doing the same course. i dont get to meet many people so that felt good too and for the people who were there thankyou, i thought you were all very friendly and helpful, especially as i hadnt taken my book in and you let me share yours. i hope i will be able to attend the next one but unfortunately wont know till nearer the time

No comments: