Sunday 12 October 2008

Cryptonomicon

Cryptonomicon Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was my first Neal Stephenson and certainly no disappointment. It was a massive read at over 900 pages but at no time did I stumble and move on to something else, I was very pleased to have it hold my full attention throughout.

Codes, computers, U-Boats, war, treasure and more, quite a boys novel. I loved following both present day characters and their ancestors in the interweaved stories and the ending didn't disappoint; in fact it was a definite, I can't wait to find out what on earth is going on feeling, that ended just right.

This was a very clever intermingling of historical events/people and modern day that must have been an awesome research effort. What was I being told about General Douglas MacArthur? I must read more about him... Oh wow, have just returned from the English Wikipedia having read this: "MacArthur's headquarters during the Philippines campaign of 1941-2 was on the island fortress of Corregidor." Sorry, that was just a little private indicator for me that the research was spot on.




View all my reviews.

No comments: